I’ve never done one of these before though I’ve been nominated several times in the past, so I thought I finally do one since my friend H.R.R. Gorman has nominated me. Thanks for that H.
I’m not sure how many people I’m meant to nominate, but I’ll keep it only to a few people. If I’ve nominated you and you don’t want to do this, then please disregard it.
You are meant answer the 11 questions the person who nominated you has asked and then come up with 11 questions of your own to be answered by the people you nominate.
H.R.R. Gorman’s Questions:
1. What’s the most recent book you’ve read, and did you like it?
I was dipping into the The Complete Pegana by Lord Dunsany. Lord Dunsany is a big influence on many writers I love. It’s very much a creation of a new mythology, just like Tolkien did later with The Silmarillion (which I find more compelling). I found it interesting. What I really loved were the three short stories at the end where the narrator is visiting all these fantastical places in his dreams which includes a fascinating boat ride through a river visiting rather strange cities. It was these sorts of stories that Dunsany wrote that inspired Lovecraft’s The Dreamlands stories
2. How long do indoor plants stay alive in your abode?
Not very long sadly. I did have a fern that I kept alive for a couple of years, but one day it just died on me.
3. How long does your dried laundry wait until it is folded?
Usually I fold my laundry once it’s dry, unless it’s sheets and then it can be a couple of weeks until I get around to folding those.
4. A masked mad person puts a gun to your head and says, “You are going to time travel to a year prior to 1900 and live their for the rest of your life, or I will shoot you. You can choose the year and country of residence.” When/where do you travel to, or do you just let this mysterious person shoot you?
As a queer girl there aren’t many times or places in history that I would feel that safe living in. I have a degree in European Medieval History, and though I love the medieval period I would not want to live in that time for real. I think I would actually opt for living with the Native Americans long before the Europeans appeared. From what I’ve read (if it is actually correct that is) they had no problem with same-sex relationships and even acknowledged several different genders rather than the usual two we have. So I get to ride horses, live in a teepee or tipi (that’s if I’m living with the Sioux, Cheyenne, Comanche, Shawnee, Apache, etc.), and be as queer as I want to be. So sign me up for that, and please put the gun down!
5. Do you have pets?
No sadly. I really want to have a tarantula or a sugar glider as a pet, but my country’s strict laws forbid either of them to be brought over here. There is a reason for this which I might explain in more detail one day, but basically our bio-security is taken very seriously here to protect our natural environment and our native bird life.
6. What is your favorite thing to cook?
I love making pizza as I’m good at making bread and I find it quite therapeutic when I’m kneading dough ( I also need dough but that’s another story).
7. Off the top of your head, what book would you recommend right now?
Lavondyss by Robert Holdstock. It’s a book I really love.
8. Should toothpaste be squeezed from the bottom, middle, or top for maximum comfort? Do you follow your own advice?
Toothpaste should be squeezed from the bottom of the tube. I however usually squeeze from the middle or the top. I’m very much a “do as I say, not do as I do” sort of person I guess…
9. What are your opinions on breakfast?
It’s not something I really do. I usually just have a cup of tea (that’s black tea Americans). When I still smoked I would also have a cigarette. I used to eat yogurt and stuff like that, but it’s been a while since I’ve done that.
10. What is your optimal bedtime?
I’m a night owl. I work all night and sleep all day. I’m practically a vampire. I love how quiet it is at night. I live in a house with five other people and it can get quite noisy here at times which isn’t conducive to writing, so I usually wait until everyone else is asleep. My sleep patterns are a bit screwed up to be honest.
11. Who is your favorite historical figure (must currently be dead)?
I’ve really agonised about this. For some reason Joan of Arc kept popping into my head as I find her quite an interesting figure. But in the end I’ve gone for the only recently deceased Nelson Mandela. I think he’s an inspirational figure. He was jailed for 27 years and when he was released did he go for vengeance and pettiness against the people who had jailed him? No, he ended up becoming South Africa’s first President in a multi-racial democracy leading a peaceful transition from a country ruled only by white people to a truly multi-racial nation. I think a lot of current world leaders should take a hard look at themselves and take a leaf out of his book.
- What contemporary musician would make the best world leader? And why?
- What are your feelings towards licorice?
- Do you still have all your own fingers and toes? If not, how did you lose your missing digits?
- What was the last television series you binge-watched?
- If you had a pirate ship what would you name it? And why would you name it that?
- What’s your favourite snack food?
- What’s one of the most stupid things you’ve ever done?
- If a particular author holds different political opinions from you or is considered to be racist or sexist, for example, would you still read their work?
- Do you ever bother arguing politics with complete strangers online?
- If you saw a big red button with “Do Not Push” written on it, what would you do? I want to see your excuses or reasons here.
- If you suddenly developed a superpower what would you like it to be? And would you use your new power for good or evil (or neither)?
I would like to nominate:
Anyone else who wants to do this, consider yourself nominated
If I have nominated you and you have either done this before or don’t want to do this then please disregard my nomination 🙂